Sunday, August 17, 2014

Father of TV 'talent' Rola released due to insufficient evidence

Father of TV 'talent' Rola released due to insufficient evidence

I have to admit I haven't the foggiest notion of how the Japanese justice system works.  I just hope never to fall afoul of it.  We haven't seen Rola on TV much since the police arrested her father, but we did see him the other day on the news.  He grinned and waved and shouted a message to his daughter much to the delight of news photographers and videographers standing across the street from the jailhouse where he'd been for three weeks.  Then he got into a taxi.

His daughter favors him.  They have similar noses and mouths and nearly identical smiles.  He's not a bad looking fellow, but on Rola these features are much prettier.  The whole thing reminded me of American celebrities with troubled parents.  I'm not going to name them, but you can guess the ones I mean quite easily.

Anyway, three weeks, then released on insufficient evidence.  Seems like a long time to me, but, as I've said, I don't know the law here.  While I plan never to involve myself in anything with even a whiff of illegality about it, there's always the chance for getting into some serious trouble due to miscommunication and from not knowing my legal rights here.  When traveling or living abroad, do not assume that country has the same protections in place for people accused of crimes-- innocent until proven guilty, for example-- as in your home country.  So I need to study my rights here.  You should, too, if you plan to move to or even visit Japan.

Well, for visiting perhaps this isn't a high priority.  No sense in being alarmist.  I just hope we don't end up on the wrong side of the chief of police's desk, a la The Big Lebowski.  A coffee cup to the head would probably be getting off lightly.

No comments: