Tuesday, August 26, 2014

At last, a real life superhero who is actually useful: Cleaning up the streets

Cleaning up the streets

Mangetsu-man turned up in Tokyo to help clean a bridge in Nihonbashi.  Who is Mangetsu-man?  I don:t know, but he has a big, round head like a yellow moon and a purple cape.  He sweeps and cleans the streets with a broom and a dustpan, so I count myself among his fans.  He wasn't the only one.  Some helpful civilians also turned out.  I am a fan of those people, too.

I go to Nihonbashi occasionally in search of American comic books.  There's a nice little shop there called Blister that sells them, plus imported toys.  It seems a fairly quiet place with a few restaurants and a number of office buildings.  I'm not sure what its main focus is.  You know, Shibuya is for shopping, Shinjuku is for fun, Akihabara is for AKB48 and geeky interests.

The next time I go to Nihonbashi, I'll keep an eye out for Mangetsu-man and his anti-garbage crusaders.

No comments: