Monday, August 25, 2014

How would you rate the quality of Japanese restaurants in your native country (if you are not from Japan)?

How would you rate the quality of Japanese restaurants in your native country (if you are not from Japan)?

Most of the "Japanese" restaurants where I'm from in the United States don't really offer what I consider Japanese cuisine.  Their fare is delicious, but just putting teriyaki sauce on grilled beef or chicken chunks doesn't make your dish Japanese.  Then there's the traditional American "Japanese steakhouse" with the dude putting on a wild show tossing meat and eggs and vegetables around with knives and spatulas on the grilling surface right there at your table.  That's always fun, the results are usually pretty tasty, but I haven't found any places here in Japan that do that.  They may exist.  I simply haven't seen one, nor have I heard of one in my admittedly limited experience. I've asked friends and acquaintances here and they usually just say something along the lines of, "Sounds great!  I'd love to go to one of those!"  One buffet restaurant advertising itself as Japanese served the same stuff you find at many Chinese buffet restaurants, including french fries, pizza and Americanized sushi.  All reasonable edible, but not really what I'd consider Japanese.  I think it's out of business now anyway.  Out of those I've been to, I'd rate the food quality as adequate, but the Japanese dining experience and authenticity of cuisine as sub-par.

But I have eaten some decent sushi in Georgia, or at least sushi comparable in quality to what I've had in Japan.  At conveyer belt chains and in supermarkets, that is.  Not at the high quality sushi or sashimi restaurants we've dined at in Japan, though.  In fact, there's even a conveyer belt sushi restaurant in Tokyo Station where the taste tops anything I've eaten in Georgia.  But if you want something approaching an authentic Japanese dining experience with decent-to-quite good sushi, you can find it Atlanta, Athens and even at one particular restaurant in poor, little, Japanese-food deprived Albany, Georgia.  But if there are restaurants in the United States that can match or top the "real deal" or even that station sushi place, I haven't been to one.  Maybe they're in cities outside Georgia.  New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco or Seattle, places like that.  Of the several sushi restaurants back home I've eaten at, I'd rate the food quality as adequate to above average and the Japanese dining experience and authenticity of cuisine roughly the same.

That is, if you don't order simply the California rolls. You can get those in Japan, but most of the people I've talked sushi with think they're a bit amusing.

No comments: