Monday, September 2, 2013

Tokyo: How would you describe Roppongi in one word? | The Japan Times

Tokyo: How would you describe Roppongi in one word? | The Japan Times

You may or may not have noticed I never write about Roppongi.  I've spent plenty of time in Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku, Akihabara and even Ikebukuro, but I rarely go to Roppongi.  I think I've been there twice, once with a friend at night.  We went to a yakiniku restaurant and then a couple of tiny bars owned by friends of hers where we had fun with an intimate group of people who all knew each other extremely well.  The second time was just passing through during the day after visiting a museum.

All I know of Roppongi is what I've read in the papers.  Foreigners getting arrested for drugs.  That's the stereotype supported by that kind of reportage.  I skip the Roppongi section in the guidebooks.  This is why I have a slightly negative view of Roppongi and why it doesn't really interest me.  I have to say the last comment in this Japan Times article is very mature for a seventeen year old, and very well-stated for any age. That person is a lot smarter than I am, that's for sure!

No comments: