Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Japan should stabilize population at 100 mil by 2060: panel

Japan should stabilize population at 100 mil by 2060: panel

Sounds like a good idea, but what we really need are ways to implement it.  I'm afraid fixing the declining population problem will require massive societal changes here that most people aren't prepared to make.  That in itself is not a uniquely Japanese problem-- people in any country get used to doing things their way, which they're convinced is the "right" way and all others simply variations in differing degrees of wrongness-- but after living here for about a decade, I've run repeatedly into the idea that Japanese ways are unique and must be preserved even if they fly in the face of world approbation (whaling) or changing realities (no matter how long you stay at work and avoid taking a day off even when sick almost to death, Japan's economy isn't exactly booming).  So relatively miniscule immigration rates and declining birthrates and the ever-growing population of seniors will continue to be a huge headache for the big people in charge here until 2060 and by then, it will be too late to do anything about it.

Well, Japan's been very, very good to me.  I don't like everything that goes on here, but I've had it pretty sweet and Japan has been a provider of many beneficial experiences and financial opportunities for yours truly.  So while I don't really have any deep insights to offer or criticisms to make that couldn't be shot down by someone more knowledgeable and well-read on this stuff than I am, I hate to see Japan shrinking away.  And while there are a lot of things in Japan you might find elsewhere-- certain fashions, kinds of music and tons of brilliant artists in comics and the fine arts-- those who create them here do so in ways I find superior to their international imitators.  I don't want to see Japan disappear.

No comments: