Friday, December 20, 2013

Murder in Japan: Kyushu fisheries boss shot dead | The Japan Times

Kyushu fisheries boss shot dead | The Japan Times

This story really jumped out at me because "shot dead" isn't a phrase one associates with Japan or crime in Japan.  In fact, this is only the third gun death I've read about in newspapers since I moved here almost ten years ago.  The first was also gangster-related and the second was a hunting accident (a hunter mistook someone for a boar).  There may have been others that weren't publicized so I'd notice, but there you have it.

Coincidentally, murder has been on my mind since last weekend because we had a slaying right here in our town.  I don't know all the details, just what my wife translated from the television news.  I haven't been able to find any information on it online, so sorry about that.  While looking for information, I did tumble the story of wartime serial killer Seisaku Nakamura.  Local boy.  This is the first I've heard of him, so I'm not sure how many people know this dark bit of local lore.  If you read the linked article, you'll know as much as I do about him.  Considering how the USAAF bombed and burned more than half of Hamamatsu to ashes in 1945, Nakamura's crimes from a few years before probably weren't near the top of things to talk about among the ruins.

Well, I don't have any deep meaning to assign to any of this.  I doubt there is any.  Just one story creating a certain train of thoughts on a sunny and cold morning.

No comments: