Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Police stonewalling over death of U.S. teen in Shinjuku prolongs family's ordeal | The Japan Times

Police stonewalling over death of U.S. teen in Shinjuku prolongs family's ordeal | The Japan Times

I had not heard of this before today.  When this young man died, I was back in the US and it hasn't exactly been a major news story here in Japan since I came back.  Scott Kang.  Nineteen years old, from my home state of Georgia.

It reminds me of the Lindsay Hawker case, although in that instance we knew from the start she most definitely had been murdered.  I followed that one because I was fairly new to Japan at the time and media coverage was pretty sensationalistic.  Hawker's was tireless in his efforts to find justice.  Another major difference is the Hawker murder inspired a radio play and a lot of other ugliness.  Her family didn't play to any of this and her father's every public pronouncement served to increase my admiration for someone dealing with such a horrific tragedy.  Kang's death has been a lot quieter, but then I missed the initial reportage.

His family definitely needs more information.  My heart goes out to them.

No comments: