Sunday, April 15, 2007

Japan is a Very Seismically Active Country...

We had another earthquake, just after noon on Sunday. I was sitting around doing nothing (my semi-girlfriend had other plans for the day) when my apartment jumped. It happened quickly, a jolt that felt as if someone had crashed into the wall with their car or else my upstairs neighbors' refrigerator had fallen over.

Although in the latter case, it probably would've come right through the ceiling. And I'd now have two refrigerators.

Experts say there's a 90% chance Tokyo will have a major earthquake sometime in the next 50 or so years. I've also heard that about Los Angeles and San Francisco for as long as I can remember. But according to a Discovery Channel documentary I saw recently, if a quake of about the scale of the 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake strikes... given the population and construction density of Tokyo, devastation and death would be beyond belief. The economic impact on both Japan and the United States would stagger both nations.

No comments: