Friday, February 9, 2007

A 3-Day Weekend...

And it's about time. I'm exhausted. Not from work, just from lack of sleep. I'm in one of those weird patterns where I fall asleep easily, but wake up after 5 hours and stay awake. Despite being heavy-lidded and low-energy all day.

Monday, a person or persons affiliated with the Yamaguchi-gumi crime family (Japan's largest Yakuza organization with 21,000 members) gunned down a top man in the Sumiyoshi-kai family. This is the first I've heard of it, but the Japan Times online says it's the latest incident in an escalation of turf war between the two rival gangster groups.

Leaders of both families had a sit-down recently to hammer out a truce, which can only be good for everyone. As we all know from The Godfather, war is bad for business. The shooting actually led to police action against the Sumiyomi-kai, which is something of a novelty. Usually, the police turn a blind eye to Yakazu doings, instead focusing on DUI roadblocks and arresting lone (and foolish) gaijin on drug charges.

As for me, I'm contemplating a day-trip to Shibuya ward, Tokyo tomorrow. Depends on the weather. I have no business there, really. I just feel antsy and have a lot of nervous energy to burn off. I'm hungry for Shakey's pizza buffet, one of the best bargains in Japan.

If I can get in. As I related a few weeks back, my lone attempt at pizza buffeting was rebuffed because the line stretched out the door.

Lunch at Shakey's involves my getting up early so I can get to the train station. The shinkansen takes about an hour and a half to get to Shinagawa. Then I have to take the Yamanote Line to Shibuya.

No comments: